Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

And They're Off!

Happy Valley is the place to be on Wednesday nights for expats in Hong Kong. Everyone is there at the Hong Kong Jockey Club for the races.

This week was my first week and I arrived late and missed the first four races, but I don't think I missed much. The grounds are pretty nice...about the same standards as a newish professional ballpark in the US and entry fee is only $10 hkd (barely a buck).

I think that I picked a good week to try it out since the Hong Kong Jockey Club celebrates Oktoberfest for a couple of weeks in October. This means that you can get a solid attempt at German food and swill it down with pretty good beer. Food and drink were relatively inexpensive, in fact. Another bonus was the on-stage drinking contest between the 6th and the 7th. The winner took home 5000 hkd and even the last place contestant got a grand.


Posted by Picasa

It's pretty exciting even if you don't have money on the line!!

No comments:

Post a Comment