Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NEW APARTMENT!!!!!!

Finally....I moved. Sad to say goodbye to my old roomie, but I had to get out of there. I didn't want to use my blog as a forum to complain, but I was having problems with my old place. List of negative aspects:

1. Big red fire hose mounted on the wall: this was not a negative in itself, but the fact that it couldn't be taken down and used just made it feel like an unsightly, dusty, heap of garbage.
2. Dust: vacuuming three times per week was not enough to beat it; the dust earned me an asthma diagnosis - something I hadn't had to deal with since I was about 7.
3. Phantom Karaoke Bar: like the fire hose, I wouldn't hate it so much if I could engage with it. There was a karaoke bar that only seemed to be open on Sunday during the afternoon and early evening. I don't know if it was in my building or in a nearby building, but the noise traveled cleanly through my walls, making the aftermath of Saturday night all the more hellish. Worst of all, it's not uncommon for karaoke enthusiasts to believe that they can sing Whitney Houston songs. It is very uncommon to hear a singer who can perform a Whitney Houston song.
4. Wing Lok Street's bizarre animal product vendors: although I still live on Wing Lok street, I'm not bombarded with dried sea creatures and their odors as soon as I hit the street. There's some pretty funky stuff on my new block too, but it doesn't match the Wing Lok-Cleverly intersection's cramped, chaotic, dried goods market.
5. Lack of a view: in my new apartment, I can look in the space between two aircon units and get a glimpse of the sky. Impossible in the old apartment. Also, the window was streetside on a very hectic street.
6. Toilet and shower in the same place: I will never understand this.
7. Mirror at belly-button level: on second thought, it was a really good workout to hold a 5-minute squat and shave.

Oh well...I'll miss the old Wing Lok apartment even though there were so many reasons to hate it.

2 comments:

  1. What is going on in Hong Kong for Halloween? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete