Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Thai Boxing

I went to a Thai boxing event a couple of weeks ago. This shot is the opening ceremony where the fighters lined up behind their respective flags. The fighters were mostly Hong Kongers, mainland Chinese, Thai, and Australians. I think there was also one or two Japanese and a British guy thrown in the mix, but I don't even think the British guy got to participate in the opening lineup.

Some of the fights were pretty good, but I left after I had seen eight. There were still three left and I heard from a friend that I missed two knockouts in the last two fights, but I am a little bit skeptical since there were only a couple of knockdowns in the first eight and not one single fight-ending knockout.

Smallest weight class was 54 kg and the largest was 78 kg...so no heavyweights were in the ring, although the guys in the 78 kg class were kind of monstrous. During that fight, the British guy caught an Australian so cleanly with an uppercut to the mouth that the Aussie walked around punch-drunk for about 10 seconds at the end of round two trying to find his corner. Surprisingly the Aussie came back and wailed on the Brit all throughout the last three rounds and won the decision. Never give up.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment