Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Official Documents

Anyone want to guess where this is located? Or, what it is? Stop reading, write it down on, then continue on with this post to find out if you were correct.

If you guess that this is an electronic immigration official of Hong Kong S.A.R. then you are correct. At this machine, qualified applicants can file requests for different types of visas and other documents related to immigration status.

The machine is located in the Hong Kong Immagration Services building in Wan Chai. I saw it while riding an escalator to the eighth floor where I was soon after denied the right to a Hong Kong ID card. I can't get one because my stay is less than 180 days, but I had wanted one for two reasons: (1) access to book-lending at the Hong Kong Central Library and (2) access to "members-only" clubs in Hong Kong, which actually often let in non-members upon proof of Hong Kong residency. I'm not sure why it works that way with those clubs, but it seems like a scheme that only serves to keep out tourists.



*Wan Chai seen from the China Resources Building; view from Lockhart Road is much more interesting.
Posted by Picasa


No comments:

Post a Comment