Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Two Forms of Weather

One of feature of Hong Kong that is quite unique is that you experience natural weather as well as man-made weather. In Hong Kong, perhaps also in other Asian cities, it seems like you are always getting dripped on. The streets are narrower, the sidewalks even narrower.

The photo to the right shows an air conditioner that malfunctioned resulting in a massive downpour on the sidewalk. This was especially problematic given the fact that the air conditioner shown is located about 30 feet overhead of one side of an MTR entrance. Such downpours are infrequent but walking down the block, especially after a rain storm can lead to three or four droplets collecting on your shirt and head.

It used to gross me out but then I realized that it's either condensation from the air conditioners or rainwater. If it is in fact something else, feel free to keep that information to yourself. I'm fine with the way things are.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. PS: the photo is not of the apartment in Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same experience in Cairo! All the air cons are on the outside of the building and drip on you as you are walking down the sidewalk. I thought it was rain at first, but clearly it doesn't EVER rain in Cairo in the summer hahaha (or ever?)

    ReplyDelete