Welcome. I'll have some of my experiences recorded here and maybe people at home will be able to get a better picture of life here in Hong Kong and my reactions to it.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Stanley Beach

Yesterday was my first experience at a Hong Kong beach. It wasn't bad although I was suffering from a cold last week that has still got my lungs congested so swimming was kind of difficult.

Stanley Beach is just a short walk from the small district of Stanley. Not much is going on in Stanley...mostly just relaxing and sports. Windsurfing is really popular in Hong Kong and rentals only cost about $30 for three hours.

The beach is netted off. I don't know why, but the netting and buoys separate boaters and windsurfers from swimmers. The water is dark and there are warning signs that people shouldn't swim in the wake of rain storms because of contamination from polluted runoff. However, it was actually very pleasant to swim in and the nearby changing rooms and shower facilities were very clean and useful.

The tradition of gouging beach goers is alive and well at the cafe which charges about $8 for food and drink that would otherwise be no more than $3 in Central, but it's hard to complain with the beautiful view of the beach from the cafe's roof deck.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment